More Art of Coney Island
A Call to Artists for Submissions: More Art of Coney Island
Brooklyn Waterfront Artists Coalition (BWAC)
481 Van Brunt St.
Red Hook, Brooklyn, New York 11231
We are excited to announce our national juried art show, More Art of Coney Island will be opening on July 30, 2022. BWAC welcomes back Alicia Degener, Co-President of BWAC as curator. With her guidance and selections, we look forward to a spectacular show.
Coney Island, The Nickel Empire, Sodom by the Sea, and The Poor Man’s Riviera, boast both a community and amusement zone accessible for the price of a subway ride. The iconic location is the muse of poets, writers, filmmakers, and visual artists.
BWAC is seeking artworks that use Coney Island as a muse, individually or collectively. Be part of an exhibition encompassing it all.
Submission Deadline: June 26th, 2022, at midnight. Gallery Exhibition Dates: Saturday, July 30 – Sunday, August 21, 2022, open weekends 1-6 P.M. Opening Reception: Saturday, July 30 from 1-6 P.M.
Open to all residents of the U.S. and its Territories, 18 years of age or older. This is a juried exhibition for artists working in all traditional and non-traditional 2D and 3D media, including film/video when part of an installation.
All artwork must be original in concept, design and execution. Limited edition prints must be numbered. Crafts, kit work or reproductions (i.e. giclee) of original works in other media, unless used as part of a mixed media work, will not be considered.
Oversize Work exceeding 72” X 72”, work exceeding 30lbs, Assemblages and Installations are welcome at the discretion of BWAC staff, but must meet all other specifications and be delivered, installed and removed by the artist (or their agent) upon prior arrangement with BWAC.
Any work not meeting these eligibility requirements can automatically be disqualified regardless of juror selection.
SUBMISSIONS AND FEES:
Submissions must be completed by midnight June 26th, 2022: $35 for up to three (3) images plus $5.00 for each additional image.
Sculpture and installations: artists may use two additional images for details, at no extra charge. Contact email@example.com if you need them.
All entry fees are non-refundable.
Artsy: All artwork presented in this show is eligible to be included in BWAC’s More Art of Coney Island online Artsy showcase. There is a $10.00 fee for each image included in the online gallery and the fee is payable upon delivery or shipment of artwork.
DIRECTIONS FOR ONLINE SUBMISSION:
1. Click on the Sign Up Now! link. Follow the directions on the Site Login Page to create a new profile. Your username is your email address. If you applied to BWAC’s shows or to another competition that licensed the Smarter Entry system after August 27, 2012, you can just login.
2. Click on More Art of Coney Island to register. (It’s under the heading AVAILABLE SHOWS). You will be taken to a secure site where you can pay your application fee. 3. Once you have paid your application
fee, you can upload your images. Submit your images as JPG, TIF, or PNG files not greater than 2MB. The longest side should be 1,280 pixels or greater. Your files can be up to 4MB.
Click on the Choose File button to browse for the file you want to upload. The actual file name is the image file title you see in a directory / folder. File names cannot have special characters as they present security risks or are not compatible with programming. When you browse your folder to select your file and then it inserts into the Smarter Entry system, you may see something like this: c:\my_harddrive%5\filename.jpg. The c:\my_harddrive%5\ is the computer’s path to the file. It can/will have special characters, and that is ok. It is only the filename.jpg part that cannot have special characters.
4. Upload your image as directed. Please note that all fields marked with an asterisk* are required. Use the Additional Notes box for information you would like the juror to consider. These notes may be used as part of the exhibition.
Click Add Image to upload it to the show. While the image is uploading do not press the back button or otherwise interfere with the upload process. When the image appears below, it has been submitted to the competition. You may have to scroll down to see all images.
Repeat this process for all your images. You can click “Return to Account” on the left hand bar at any time, then return later to submit more images. You can delete and resubmit a new image at no additional cost. You can edit the information submitted up to the deadline. Please write down and keep for your files the sizes and prices of the submitted work. Once the final deadline has passed, you will no longer have access to this information.
ACCEPTANCE of SUBMISSION:
Notification of status of acceptance will be made via e-mail by Tuesday, July 6, 2022. Add BWAC to your email service to be sure to receive notifications.
A return Confirmation of Participation is required by Thursday, July 11, 2022 to hold a spot in the exhibition.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCEPTED WORK:
1. All packages must fit through a 76” X 58” wide door. Ceilings are 10 ft high.
2. No clip frames, saw-tooth hangers or taped edges. All framed conventional work must use Plexiglas, except hand-delivered work less than 24” x 30”. Canvases may have neat gallery wrapped edges.
3. Work must be wired and ready for hanging, including wire between D-rings. Any work requiring ceiling mounts or special installation must be agreed to beforehand by BWAC and may be subject to additional charges. Charges are $90/hr or part thereof.
4. Sculptors are encouraged to provide their own pedestals, or must agree to use those provided by BWAC.
5. A label must be affixed somewhere on the back that indicates the ‘top’ and includes the Artist Name, title and price. This must be the same as listed for the ACCEPTED WORK. No artwork may be substituted.
6. All artwork must be priced for sale, no POR (Price on Request) or NFS (Not For Sale) will be exhibited.
DELIVERY OF ACCEPTED WORK:
1. HAND DELIVER to BWAC at 481 Van Brunt Street, Door 7, Brooklyn on the following dates:
Thursday, July 21st, 2022 from 3PM -7 PM
Saturday, July 23rd, 2022 from 12-4 PM
Sunday, July 24th, 2022 from 12-4 PM
Artists or artist’s agent unpacks and leaves work. No UPS, Fedex or USPS delivery drop-offs will be accepted as hand delivery. Sculptors (only) should confirm delivery space is available their chosen day, and can store their boxes for removal.
2. SHIPPED WORK: UPS AND FEDEX ONLY. NO USPS accepted. All shipments must be ordered to arrive at BWAC gallery, 481 Van Brunt Street, Door 7, Brooklyn, NY 11231 ONLY on the following dates:
Monday, July 18th, 2022
Tuesday, July 19th, 2022
Wednesday, July 20th 2022
NY other truck deliveries must keep the same schedule and be instructed to deliver inside the gallery, not at the sidewalk. For packages weighing more than 50lbs., contact BWAC for confirmation of acceptance and handling fee before shipping.
The handling fee for shipped work is $45 per package for the first 30lbs. plus $1 per pound additional.
Airfloat boxes will be charged a $20 handling fee.
A prepaid return label, with barcode (not a paper credit card label) must be inside each shipped box.
LATE ARRIVAL AND RETURNS:
BWAC reserves the right to reject and return work that is late, is deemed unstable upon arrival, is not properly presented, does not meet ready to hang requirement, or differs from the submitted digital image.
SALES, COMMISSIONS AND DELIVERY OF SOLD WORK:
BWAC will retain a 30% commission on all exhibition sales. The price represented on the artist entry form will be the sale price. No changes will be allowed. Sold works will be able to be removed by the buyer after 4:00 P.M. on the Closing Day, and on other days set by appointment. Any shipping of works to buyers will be at the expense of the buyer, and will be arranged between BWAC and the artist.
REMOVAL of ARTWORK:
1. Hand-delivered artwork must be removed by the artist, or artist’s agent, on the following dates:
Sunday, August 21st 2022, from 6 – 7 P.M.
Thursday, August 25th, 2022, from 3-7 P.M.
Saturday, August 27th, 2022, from 12 – 4 P.M.
Any work not removed during this specified time can be subject to a storage charge of $50/per week or part thereof, and can be disposed of at BWAC’s discretion if not removed within six months.
2. Shipped artwork will be returned within two to three weeks of show closing.
BWAC is not responsible for any damage, breakage, replacement or cost associated with any damage or breakage that may have occurred during transport or unpacking. Photos of damages upon receipt will be promptly sent to artists. Every precaution will be taken in handling the entries, but BWAC assumes no liability for any loss or damage to any artist’s work while in our care, custody or control, before, during or after the exhibition. Each artist, if they wish, should provide their own insurance.
USE OF IMAGES:
Any image submitted may be used for marketing and promotional purposes directly related to this show without further remuneration to the artist. This use may include publication in any publications, printed materials, advertisements, or electronic media. Copyright and all other rights remain that of the artist.
Please direct all questions prior to receiving your Notification Letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. If accepted your Acceptance Letter will direct you to contact BWAC’s Curator in charge of installation for further information.
With the submission of artwork into “More Art of Coney Island” BWAC Exhibition, the artist agrees to all the terms and conditions set forth in this prospectus.
BWAC is a 501(c)3 nonprofit, artist-run organization dedicated to offering artists, in any stage of their careers, professional exhibition opportunities and exposure. Ours is a truly unique gallery space — a massive Civil War-era brick and stone warehouse on the Red Hook waterfront in Brooklyn, NY. We devote 8,000 square feet to this exhibition. Its openness and 10ft. ceilings afford us the opportunity to welcome large work. BWAC looks forward to exhibiting artists’ work from all around the country; work in all sizes, subjects, and virtually all media including: Oil, Acrylic, Watercolor, Photography, Pastel,
Drawing, Print, Mixed Media, Textile, Sculpture, Assemblage, Installation, and Film/Video when part of an installation.